History

History of Chastain Park Amphitheater

Chastain Park Amphitheater has become an Atlanta tradition. Home of the Delta Classic Chastain series, the amphitheater has worn many faces – including its current one as a summer tradition for making musical memories.

TIMELINE
1933 – Fulton County allocates 268 acres for the development of a park, initially called North Fulton Park.
1944 – Troy Chastain, Atlanta supervisor of public buildings, unveils a new amphitheater in the park.
1945 – Troy Chastain passes away and North Fulton Park is renamed Chastain Memorial Park in his honor. The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra is founded, playing its first concert as the Atlanta Youth Symphony.
1947 – The Atlanta Youth Orchestra changes its name to Atlanta Symphony Orchestra.
1973 – The ASO celebrates its first season at Chastain Park Amphitheater.
2004
– $2.3 million renovation enhances Chastain Park’s luster & amenities.
2008 – Delta Classic Chastain celebrates its 35th Anniversary
2013 – Delta Classic Chastain celebrates its 40th Anniversary

Check out Photo Album 2012 See You Next Year!
Switch to mobile version